Welcome to emwords
the web home of
Elizabeth M Murphy & Associates (emma)
Elizabeth Manning Murphy BA(Hons) FCES FSBT(UK) FIML DE
For information about anything we do: to book a workshop or training program; to get your book, thesis or other document edited; or just to have a chat about anything else we might help you with, please contact us and leave a message – we will respond promptly. The emma team are members of the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) or the Canberra Society of Editors (CSE), or other professional associations for editors, writers, indexers and others. IPEd is the peak professional association of editors in Australia and New Zealand.
We are a group of freelance professional editors, authors, mentors and trainers. We specialise in effective workplace, scientific and academic writing. Based in Canberra, Australia, we work around Australia and around the world, in person or online by Zoom, Skype, FaceTime and other platforms.
Would you like help with any of the following?
- making any document readable and clear – all levels of edit undertaken for most documents
- writing your own book
- building your confidence in writing, editing or other language skills (a mentorship could be the answer)
- applying for a job
- preparing a research thesis for submission (copy-editing) or editing an academic journal article for publication – read more in our current Nutshell article on the Effective writing page (we work to the ‘Guidelines for editing research theses’ as set out by the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) in Australia and individual university or academic journal requirements for style – included are emma editors’ requirements for considering thesis editing)
- understanding English grammar, plain English – all about words that work – read about our Grammar in a nutshell workshop (tailored for each client) on our Training and Mentoring page
- seeking one-on-one mentoring or workplace group training that includes consultations where applicable
- helping others to edit their own and others’ writing (combined tuition and mentoring)
- setting up a freelance business.
If you would like help with any of these or other words-based challenges, contact us to ask for information.
To read more about emma team members, click here.
WORKING AT HOME
We do a lot of our work from home by phone, email, Zoom, Skype etc, working around Australia and internationally. Would you like to balance work, family and fun by having the freedom of working from home? If freelancing from home sounds good, Working at home has more information.
NEWS: Study Plan page
As the latest Accreditation Exam for editors in Australia (conducted by the Institute of Professional Editors – IPEd – is now over, we have taken down the Study Plan page for revision. It will reappear, in revised form, shortly. Watch this ‘NEWS’ space for updates. If you are about to study for an exam of any kind, and need help in organising your study, contact us and one of the team will help you. Thank you for your patience. emwords 15 September 2022.